HomeAbout MeClassesOn-line ClassesPressRosa & JosieContact

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Butterfly Rose

The Mutabilis or Butterfly Rose is my only rosebush at present. It survived the purging last fall, despite the fact that every time my husband mows the yard, he says it jumps out and sticks him. This most interesting rose was once sold as ‘Tipo Ideale’, and it is ideally suited to illustrate the typical China trait of darkening with age, instead of fading. Nowhere is that trait more visible than in the flowers of ‘Mutabilis’, whose single petals open sulfur yellow, changing through orange to a rich pink and finally crimson. Bright, silky flowers of all these colors will often be on display at the same time, looking as if a group of multi-colored butterflies has settled on the bush. This aspect earned ‘Mutabilis’ its common name–"The Butterfly Rose". I bought it probably 5 years ago at The Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, Texas. It is a beautiful place to visit for roses, daylillies and the most beautiful variety of flowers. There also is one in San Antonio.
I had intended on putting more jewelry on my Etsy shop this weekend, but I had way too much fun playing with Photoshop. I did manage to add this bracelet, and the matching necklace will hopefully get there by the weekend.
**************
And please don't forget I am still having a give-away! (see previous post). Just send me one wish from your Bucket List. No big list, no detailed book of all the things you want to do and haven't done.
My one bucket list wish is: Go to Italy! Yes, I want to go to Italy. To holiday in Italy and stay in this villa. Yes, Italy is definately at the top of my list.

5 comments:

Chris said...

How luxurious! Italy, the place of wonderful food, vibrant people...I've only seen them on TV and movies. Maybe I'll go with you someday!
Those roses!!! Wow! I never knew about that type of rose that changes colors as it ages. Gorgeous and thank you for sharing that!
Bless you beautiful gal!

A bird in the hand said...

Italy...can I come with you? I speak Italian. I know Italy. I honeymooned in Italy. Can I? Huh? huh? Can I?

dawn said...

i heart ARE.
you should go to the one here, too. the display gardens are really lovely.

kansasrose said...

Beautiful rose! And the bracelet! translucent. Italy rocks...I'll tag along please. :) Mamma mia!

Anita said...

Beautiful rose! I love the bracelet, too... wonderful color - that would go with every single thing I own... lol