HomeAbout MeClassesOn-line ClassesPressRosa & JosieContact

Monday, July 06, 2009

It was more than the class

I have to tell you..inspiration is in every nook and cranny of Stephanie Rubiano's home.
Saturday a week ago, I traveled to Austin to meet two artist friends, Deryn Mentock and Sally Turlington, to attend Stephanie's class,

Magnetic Personality.
Here's Deryn and Sally in front of Stephanie's wall in her living area. Look at those letters. How very cool is that?
"Rosie"
(She looks like she could be my grandmother, Josie's, twin sister)
Stephanie had prepared our dolls ahead of time by adhering them onto the boards. But, it was our duty to cut her out using our jewelers saw.
After a little sweat and determination, they were ready to be dressed.
I used card stock, charcoal pencil, vintage velvet ribbon (thanks again Riki!), a metal rose (given to us by Kim Loya), peacock seed pearls, cotton lace, MOP stars and beads, vintage copper findings, and waxed butterfly wings! Stephanie set up a waxing station, and we waxed real butterfly wings, lace, silk and vintage hankies.

Here are more dolls dressed up in their finery~

Deryn's, Kim's and CeCe Grimes
I am so sorry I didn't get more pictures of all the beautifully dressed dolls that day! I did meet another sweet soul, Jennifer Rowland, who came along with CeCe. Then, there was Mary from Austin, and Beth who came all the way from Beaumont.
************************
I'd like to share just a few more photos of Stephanie's home, studio and her inspiring art.
This original perching pixie by Stephanie came home with me...isn't she darling?
You can find more in Stephanie's Etsy Shop.

These pixies went home with Deryn and Sally.
This beautiful doll stands proudly above Stephanie's faux fireplace in her dining room.

There were lots of pixies hiding out in her studio.


Finally, I did have to make a short stop at Uncommon Objects, on the way home Sunday. I looked thru every vignette much more carefully this time, and came away with a bag full of goodies. This place is way fun!

11 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Inspiration in every nook and cranny...I love it! Inspiration is indeed everywhere. You all look like you had a great time. I love that wall with the marquee letters and Uncommon Objects sounds like a treasure hunters paradise. Thanks for sharing your projects. Enjoy the day! Erin

Daryl said...

Ah whimsy, I love it ...

The Joy of Nesting said...

Thank you sooooo much for pictures since I couldn't fit in your luggage!!! Oh I think you had way to much fun!! I love all of Stephanie's pint size perching pixies hanging out :)

One day One day I'm getting to Uncommon Objects!! Maybe on the way to Roundup, could be a great birthday present??!! You know I have a really close girlfriend here who has a house in Round Rock and has never been there??? She doesn't even want to go???? Go figure!!

Glad you back and that you had a great time!! :)
Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Tina(Taken over by her daughter, Nicole) said...

What fun you had Diane!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

I looks like great fun was had by all! :)

Deryn Mentock said...

You got a great photo of Sally and I...I had to snatch one for myself! Nice finds at Uncommon...

Cindy said...

Diane
What beautiful pictures! And I love how your sweet doll turned out...right down to the vintage velvet belt. I think your choice of "perching pixies" was my favorite...with the baby shoe and all (I wouldn't be able to resist it either!). Looks like you had so much fun. Sure wish you were closer...I'd love to take a stroll through that infamous Uncommon Objects store with you!

Seth said...

Looks like a great plave and a great time!

A bird in the hand said...

Such lovely, lovely things.....

I could only survive in Uncommon Objects by exercising a LOT of restraint ;-)

sharon said...

Hi Diane! I found your blog thru lovely Cindy Wimmer, and have been reading and looking for the past 30 min., and am beside myself with inspiration and amazement! Your jewelry and all your work is stunning! I am a jewelry artist, and have the same sentiments as you about the blog, finding a whole new world for me.....and finding people like you! I read about the paper doll class on Deryn's blog....and am ohhhh so jealous, lol!!! It all looks so fantastic to me. I have been trying to create some ATC's and mixed media, but I am very leery, still unsure. Again, your work is beautiful !! So glad I found you!

Charlene said...

The class looks like it was amazing! And to be with the other artists would have been the icing on the cake. I know what you mean about feeling a bit out of league... I am so new to all of this & want to "have it" so badly. I just keep sticking my toes in the water & learning new things everyday. Thanks for sharing. California was sooooooooooooooo wonderful! And so cool. Reality stinks with this Texas heat! YUCK! If only I could afford to live on the central coast of California for 3-4 months I would be happy with Texas for the rest of the time.