HomeAbout MeClassesOn-line ClassesPressRosa & JosieContact

Saturday, September 22, 2007

have you ever caught yourself going home?

New Bremen, Texas - 1965 (or thereabouts)
Bandera, Texas - 2007

When we traveled to the hill country about a week ago, I found myself going home. The hill country of Texas, is not the rolling hills of Austin County, where I was born, and lived more than thirteen years. But, one of the properties we visited in Bandera, was a large ranch, now being broken up into 2 acre tracts. It was so beautiful, especially at sunset, when I snapped the picture above. The large sprawling pastures of bermuda grass, with a healthy sprinkling of mighty oak trees. Some of this acreage was more wooded than others; just like I remember of the ranch I grew up on during, I believe, my most formative years.
This trip has caused me to reflect on who I am, and has brought back memories of me running as fast as I could from the small New Bremen community I grew up in. I did not like living 15 miles (seemed like 100) down a dirt road, on a large tract of land, called The Double Mac Ranch. It was almost 700 acres of trees, grass, hay fields, tractors, barns, horses and cattle. But it was lonely~for me. It was not fun. I wanted friends I could play with, instead of my sisters.
Tonight though, I am happy of the life I lived on the ranch. All these things I experienced there, has brought me to the place I am today. And for that~I am most thankful. Thankful to have had parents who took good care of me.
I do not know if I will ever live in Bandera, but I am hopeful. God knows where he wants me, and tonight I rest in the promise that He will never leave or forsake me. And for that, I am blessed.

No comments: