HomeAbout MeClassesOn-line ClassesPressRosa & JosieContact

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Wrapped Beads Necklace-Project 5

This afternoon I worked on the next project in Mary Hettmansperger's~Wrap, Stitch, Fold & Rivet, which is part of Deryn's Summer Jewelry Challenge.
I decided to use the remaining piece of etched brass metal, made last weekend, as the base. Mine differs from Mary's examples, as I wanted to leave the bottom of the pendant open. It is not fully wrapped; but rather folded only on top.
Starting with a piece of copper wire, I made a ball at the end with my torch; then strung several chosen beads to be hung inside the folded piece of metal. I began with a small carnelian nugget, faceted tiger iron, and then a golden czech crystal. The large bead peeking out from under the fold is an etched carnelain bead I found while shopping at Originals, in San Antonio. I used another small carnelain nugget, then a few copper spacers on top; just below the wrapped loop. I made sure the metal hugs the beads tightly at top, then gently rolled the edges of the folded base with my round and flat nose pliers. I used 0000 steel wool to burnish and highlight the brass. Lastly, I added the completed pendant to a simple rubber cord, ending it with a hand-wrapped oxidized copper coil clasp.

This was another fun and challenging project. Chapter 2 ~ Commercial Cold Connections ~ will be next.

12 comments:

Fanciful Expressions said...

Love what you did. I like the open bottom. It gives it an entirely different look.

Carolyn

Anita said...

Wow! I've never seen anything like that... Love that!

Anonymous said...

It even glows!
That's beautiful, dm!!!Great "form."

Daryl said...

very flower/lily like and also very sexy ...

:-Daryl

Chris said...

How organic and wonderful this is! I love the way you interpreted the project and I love the beads you used. Earthy and warm.

Pilar said...

You really took etching on basemetal to the next level. I love your twist on Mary's project. Bravo!

Diana said...

Absolutely love this piece, Diane!! It has a really good feel to it and I love the color....such a good job!
Diana

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

Awesome job! This is gorgeous and organic (which I love)! Keep it up, girl, you ROCK!

Deb said...

Absolutely perfect! What wonderful work - this challenge suits you to a T.

Deb

beautifullybrokenme said...

Diane - This really turned out beautifully. I love the materials you used - I think the etched carnelian compliments all of the other materials you used, and really sets the tone of the piece. Also, you did a great job on the etched brass - it adds so much to the overall design.

I can't wait to see the next piece(s) you do (the "Mixed Metal Earrings").

Have a great rest of your weekend -

:-) Molly

Psalm 28:7

Anonymous said...

This pendant looks fantastic..neat idea...

Anonymous said...

Really, really fine Diane! I love the etched metal and that carnelian bead is to die for.