Friday, April 18, 2008

Jesus is Free

a couple of weeks ago i actually took some time to check out a local estate sale. after just getting back from warrenton antique festival, and seeing the prices vendors were charging there; i decided i needed to start going direct instead of thru the middle man for getting some pieces to use in my art. so, here is what i found~2 great very old stamps. click on pic to see the gunk way down deep in the crevices. i love to see old, oily, dusty gunk like this. (this really makes allen laugh).
and, then the lady had a whole box of old patterns that were her and his mother's. i dug and dug, & pulled out just this one. i liked it best~an old butterick pattern. can you believe 35 cents? funnier yet, is i paid $1 for it!
but~the most coolest part of the conversation between the family and i went like this:
(first, you must know i collect manger scenes).
"so how much is the little wooden manger scene?" the dad said, " one dollar". I said, "one dollar?" hummm, "Jesus is a dollar?", so i put it back; and then gently laid all of my items down to pay. naturally I said, "so what kind of deal can you make for this?" the mother added it all up, and said, "well, it looks like $13 (because I also had 2 very old, sorta rusted wire cooling racks). i turned and said, "well, can I have Jesus; yes, can I have Jesus; because you know Jesus is Free!" they looked at each other, shook their heads, and said, "yes, yes, you can have Jesus ~ for Free!" we laughed for at least 10 minutes.
so, I still have the little manger scene sitting on the dresser in my spare bedroom. it should go up in the attic in my christmas decorations box.
but, i was thinking; you know, Jesus doesn't belong up there either.
He needs to be right here with me.
*******
2 fabric stamps ~ $5 each
2 semi-rusty cooling racks ~ $2
1 vintage butterick pattern ~ $1
and
1 baby Jesus ~ FREE!

6 comments:

Daryl E said...

Oh you do give good barter .. ;-0

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

I love all the cool stuff you got! And, yes, Jesus is free,for all of us. Bless you!

kansasrose said...

Precious manger scene! Great finds too! Love ya!

The Happy Housewife said...

What a great story! I love the manger scene you bought, very original!

Chris said...

I love this manger scene! Primitive and powerful...yes, Jesus is free. Amen!

Paulie said...

I have never been to an estate sale but I have often wondered about them. Your "Jesus" is unique! I bet it is worth a lot actually! Of course jesus is FREE and aren't we blessed to know that! I think you should display your Jesus all year! Find a special place where it can be seen by all who enter your home and then you can remind others of the gift we all have through Jesus. I also think you should submit this article to your church newsletter. What a messge!